Browse Exhibits (10 total)
Photographs taken during the 50 Year Utah Jubilee Parade, Salt Lake City, Utah, and portraits from the Johnson Portrait Sudio.
Selected items from the "Deaf Technology Through The Ages" display in the George Sutherland Archives, Spring 2012.
Photographs taken during three different days of the dismantling of the Bunnell Pioneer House on UVU Campus in May and June 2012.
The Bunnell Pioneer Home sat on what is now UVU's main campus from 1892 until it was dismantled in May/June 2012 to make way for the new Student Life and Wellness Center. A smaller replica was built on campus, just south of the Sparks Automotive Building, using some of the original brick as well as the original red front door.
This exhibit consists of mostly Chinese artifacts, as well as a few from Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan. It includes: opium boxes, Buddha shrines, toothpick boxes, dishes, pots, boxes, an incense censor, a porcelain flute, and silver coins.
The J. Clayton Tullis Utah State Capitol Collection began when the donor, Mr. Tullis, volunteered as a tour guide at the Utah State Capitol. Mr. Tullis has been interested in the Utah State Capitol building for many years and began to collect anything relating to the capitol building, its history, construction, and the people who played a role in its development and construction.
The collection currently consists of vintage postcards from the early twentieth century and a lithograph of the capitol building from the Governor's Office, commissioned to commemorate the Utah Centennial in 1996.
The collection is still growing and Mr. Tullis continues to look for new materials to add to it.
This exhibit consists of 9 booklets published about Japanese-American Internment during the Second World War.
This exhibit consists of artifacts collected by Lyndon W. and Margaret Ann Cook. Obtained from New Zealand, Japan, Tonga, and Eqypt. Material types include wooden tribal masks, woven cloth, greenstone figurines and pendants, carved bone pendants, carved animal teeth, shell necklaces, wooden and greenstone clubs, and various woven and carved containers.
This exhibition presents research produced in an upper-level seminar offered by the English & Literature Department and taught by Todd Goddard, Assistant Professor of English. The class, titled "'Scribbling Women': Nineteenth-Century American Women Writers," focused on a range of authors and texts from the early nineteenth century to the Civil War. Throughout the semester, students in the class conducted on-line research in digital-archives and elsewhere on a writer of their choosing. Students then wrote biographies and plot synopses and provided information about historical context and the reception of specific works. In many instances, students discovered rare images and sometimes hard-to-find information about these writers' lives and works. The few original letters and books in the exhibit belong to a private collection.
The title of the exhibit, "Scribbling Women," comes from a wellknown comment made by Nathaniel Hawthorne, who in January of 1855 complained to his publisher that women writers were diminishing his chances at publication and of reaching a larger audience. "America," he wrote, "is now wholly given over to a damned mob of scribbling women, and I should have no chance of success .... " Unfortunately, Hawthorne's comment reflected and reinforced the dismissive attitude of many literary critics (most of the men) toward the works of nineteenth-century women writers as not serious, simply sentimental, and too popular . As a result, many women writers were overlooked for much of the twentieth century. Recently, though, critics have begun to recover and re-discover the lives and works of many "lost" women writers. This exhibit seeks to contribute to this important project. Although you may be familiar with some or all of these writers, we hope that you find some pleasant surprises.
~ Todd Goddard
The Wilson W. Sorensen collection contains images that trace the history of UVU from 1942 to 1982. Wilson W. Sorensen was president of the school during that time, and donated these photographs that document the changing missions, and many names, of the school, from Central Utah Vocational School and Utah Trade & Technical Institute, to Utah Technical College at Provo to Utah Technical College at Provo/Orem. After President Sorensen retired in 1982, the school became Utah Valley Community College, then Utah Valley State College, and now Utah Valley University.